Newcastle Marathon & Half Marathon
TrafficSun 21 April 2024
Event Notice and changed traffic/pedestrian conditions
Newcastle Marathon - Sun 21 April - 4.30am- 12.30pm
The second and final event in the Newcastle Running Festival will be held on the above date and time. The event is staged from The Station (old Railway Station). The event includes marathon (42km) and half marathon (21km) events staged over loops of a 10.5km course along the Foreshore of the Harbour and Beaches. The event promotes the City of Newcastle and encourages health and fitness and has attracted over 2000 runners. Many runners are staying in Newcastle. Due to the size of the event, it is staged over a combination of roadways and paths as noted below. There are also runners along Macquarie Pier (The Break wall) and the Honeysuckle Foreshore east of the Newcastle Marina precinct. To protect the safety of runners the following traffic management and pedestrian initiatives will be in place. During these times you can expect changed traffic conditions on or limited access to:
- Shortland Esplanade - Zaara St to Nobbys roundabout closed - 5.30am – 12.00pm
- Macquarie Pier (Nobbys’s Break wall) – runners out and back - 6.00am – 12.00pm
- Wharf Rd from Watt St to Nobby’s Rd from 5.30am –12.00pm
- Wharf Rd from Watt St to Argyle St closed from 4.30am – 12.30pm (access to apartments from Argyle end via slip lane, city side) No access east of apartments.
- Honeysuckle promenade – runners on the harbour side path heading west – 6.00am-12.00pm (cyclists please dismount and walkers please give way to runners)
- Newcastle Marina eastern end in front of apartments – runners on walkways - 6.00am-12.00pm
- Please do not park on any part of the course, as any vehicles parked on the course WILL NOT be able to leave until the course is reopened.
We would appreciate your cooperation by avoiding vehicle and pedestrian movements and otherwise watching out and giving way to runners during this period. If you have questions, please go to the webpage www.newcastlemarathon.com.au or contact our office us on 0409684246. Thank you for your assistance, Paul Humphreys, Event Director and Hunter local.